As the body of Christ we believe in the work of Jesus’ authority in the spiritual realm and have a relaxed style that is committed to loving, caring and supporting each other with a deep commitment to love and serve God.
The church has various ministries supported by a small number of members who are dedicated to spreading the good news to the wider community. These include:
• Friends group – provides friendship and support for older members, however anyone is welcome to attend their regular outings which are a good outreach in the wider community.
• Scripture – a member teaches Scripture in local schools.
• Small groups – a number of small groups meet weekly at members’ houses for Bible study, spiritual growth and fellowship.
• Prayer groups – a number of small groups meet weekly at the church house and the school for prayer. Some members also meet for prayer annually at sunrise on New Year’s Day in the Mount Penang parklands.
• Prayer ministry – a dedicated and effective team of church members has helped many people inside and outside the church over the years.
• Creche and Joeys (pre-schoolers’ programme) – run together during Sunday morning sermon.
• JAM (Jesus and Me) – Sunday school programme for Kinder-Year 6 aged children, faithfully run by various church members since KCBC commenced. Currently held on an as-needed basis due to few K-6 aged children regularly attending.
• Waves – Saturday night youth programme for high school children from in and out of the church. Run fortnightly.
• Sunday morning youth – high school-aged children’s ministry.
• Mission support – we support one of our own young church families who work with GIA in Mozambique, and missionary families in outback Australia, Thailand, Papua New Guinea, South Africa and the Silk Road.
• Worship/Sound ministry – we currently have available a band of one singer and two musicians who lead songs mostly obtained from the CCLI website. Due to these low numbers, much of our worship comprises presentations of song-and-lyric .mp4 files obtained from iSing and Worship Lyric Videos. These presentations are accompanied by on-stage singers in groups of two to six. Three members are currently rostered to set up and operate the audio-visual equipment for the church services.
• Property ministry – we are subdividing our land ready to sell to enable the building of a church elsewhere in Kariong. At the time of writing, this process is at the construction certificate stage.
• Women of Faith – for women of the church and their friends.
• Shelter care packages – collections of toiletries to donate to the local women’s shelter.
• Operation Christmas Child – yearly collection of gifts for Samaritan’s Purse.
• Gingerbread houses – yearly outreach afternoon of gingerbread house building and decoration, held in December. Typically attracts 100 or so people from the community.
• Carols – yearly outreach service including band-led carols, a nativity scene with live farm animals, and other attractions. Usually held at the public school, this event regularly attracts large numbers. Last year over 700 people attended.
KCBC has run a number of ministries in the past that are no longer active but for which there is still a need in our community and may potentially be re-started. These include:
• Kariong Community Care – provided practical help to those in need including meals, mowing of lawns, transport etc
• Chaplaincy – was provided by KCBC youth pastor and wife within Kariong Mountains High School
• Playtime – for parents and preschoolers during the week
• Blokes’ Business – fellowship for the men of the church.
KCBC provides many ministries. However due to church numbers there are limited people available to support them. The church does what it can with limited resources. God has been gracious over the years allowing these ministries to continue through the faithful service of its members.
A core values audit identified that the following values
were the basic foundational principles to the life of our church:
1. Bible-centred preaching and teaching
2. People matter to God
3. Godly servant leadership
4. Strong families and intercessory prayer
5. Fellowship and community
6. Missions and Youth
Our identity at KCBC is to be a Lighthouse to the community
of Kariong, boldly demonstrating God’s light and love to all in the area.